About This Product
BY MICHAEL MILONE
The Test of Handwriting Skills, Revised (THS-R) assesses a child's neurosensory integration skills in both manuscript and cursive writing -- skills that are often disrupted in students with learning difficulties. The revised edition features simplified scoring and administration, an extended age range (up to 18 years, 11 months), and clarified scoring criteria. Subjects are asked to perform the following tasks:
- Write from memory letters of the alphabet, in upper- and lowercase, in alphabetical sequence
- Write from dictation letters of the alphabet, out of alphabetical order, in upper- and lowercase
- Write from dictation 8 numbers out of numerical order
- Copy 12 uppercase letters out of alphabetical sequence
- Copy 10 lowercase letters out of alphabetical sequence
- Copy 6 words
- Copy 2 sentences
- Write 6 words from dictation
The THS-R also assesses writing speed, letter reversal, and case substitutions. It can be used with any of the popular handwriting programs (such as the Palmer, Zaner-Bloser, and D'Nealian) and allows you to monitor the progress of students with disabilities.
Appropriate for individuals aged 5 to 18, the test can be administered and scored in 25 minutes. Individually or group administered, the THS-R provides an Overall standard score, scaled subtest scores, percentiles, and stanines. Norms are based on a nationally stratified sample of 1,500 individuals.
The test provides insight to teachers, occupational therapists, and educational therapists who are helping children improve their handwriting legibility. A training CD-ROM is included in the Kit to assist practitioners in the scoring process.