About This Product
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) is the definitive resource for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders. It is the most current, comprehensive, and critical resource available for helping professionals.
For clinicians who diagnose mental disorders, the DSM-5 creates a common language and offers concise and specific criteria to enable objective assessment of symptoms. Physicians, psychologists, counselors, nurses, occupational and rehabilitation therapists, social workers, and forensic and legal specialists will all find the DSM-5 an important and useful tool in practice and research.
New Features in the DSM-5
- Disorders are organized based on the life span--those typically diagnosed in children at the beginning of the manual, and those typically diagnosed in older adults at the end
- Symptoms that span multiple disorders have been identified--offering new clinical insight for diagnosis
- Neuroimaging and genetics for each disorder have been updated based on the latest research
- Gender and cultural considerations have been added for each disorder
- Autistic Disorder, Asperger's Disorder, and Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) have been consolidated into Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Definitions for bipolar and depressive disorders have been streamlined
- Substance-use disorders have been restructured for consistency and clarity
- Neurocognitive disorders, both major and mild, are more specific
- Dimensional assessments for research and validation of clinical results are included